Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Plant Life at the Old Mission

Santa Barbara Old Mission
Old Mission garden
Pink Water Lillies - Old Mission Fountain

On July, Friday the 13th I celebrated my 53 birthday. The Old Mission is one of my favorite spots in the city. I decided to stop and enjoy its beauty before heading to my birthday dinner. After 40+ years I still never get tired of this lovely place.

(Please click on each picture since blogger cuts off the end. These are only a few of the pictures taken that day. More shared at a later date.)

Mission Santa Barbara is a Spanish Franciscan mission near present day Santa Barbara, California. It was founded December 4, 1786, the feast day of Saint Barbara, to evangelize the local Chumash (Canaliño) tribe. The mission grounds stand on a rise between the Pacific Ocean and the Santa Ynez Mountains, and were consecrated by Father Fermín Lasuén, who had taken over the presidency of the California mission chain upon the death of Father Presidente Junípero Serra. Mission Santa Barbara is the only mission to remain under the leadership of the Franciscan Friars since the day of its founding. Source: Wikipedia

(This was originally posted on flickr.com in 2007.)

4 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

All the times I have been there I never noticed the water lilies? those are gorgeous... a belated Happy Birthday!...

javaturtle said...

The flowers aren't there all the time. I was happy to see them that day because water lilies are the birth flower for July. I usually sit by the fountain to soak in the beauty surrounding me. Next time take a look in the fountain, toss in a coin, and make a wish.

AudreyO said...

I too never tire of the beauty of S.B. This has been home for 16 years now and I still love exploring and hiking and basking in the beauty of our town.

javaturtle said...

I agree AudreyO. I'm glad I grew up in such a beautiful city.