Monday, April 6, 2009

Opening Day


Some people live for Spring Break or Mardi Gras. Others can't wait for Halloween or the Super Bowl. Maybe it's the Betty Crocker Bake-off, the Grand Prix, WWE SmackDown, or the summer issue of Sports Illustrated that does it for you. In my case it's baseball. Today is opening day! It's time to play ball!

I'm a die-head Red Sox fan. I have been for years, even though I grew up in California. My favorite baseball player of all time is Manny Ramirez. I love him with a passion. I died the day the Red Sox traded him. I had to remove the "24" bracelet I'd been wearing for years. I cried when as I packed away my number "24" jersey. I wore it proudly for several years when the Red Sox came to California to play the Angels. I'd drive down to Los Angeles and spend 4 glorious days surrounded by other Sox fans. We always had a marvelous time.

Although I'll be cheering for the Red Sox this season, it will be never the same without my baseball god. My heart will be 90 minutes south from here in Los Angeles with Manny. I'll never forgive them for trading him. He's not the devil the media and management made him out to be. He'll have the last laugh when he's inducted into the Hall-of-Fame. I'm looking forward to that glorious day.

No comments: