Thursday, June 17, 2010

Feeling the Need


Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.  -- Seneca

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -- Mark Twain

Travelers never think that they are the foreigners. -- Mason Cooley

Half the fun of the travel is the esthetic of lostness. -- Ray Bradbury

If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. -- James Michener

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries. -- Aldous Huxley


2 comments:

Kalei's Best Friend said...

Love the quotes Lynne!. Especially Cooley's and Bradbury's...Bradbury came to our high school and I was just amazed by that man...Did u know he rode his bike for transportation before it was in style? He was and is more environmentally aware before it became an issue.

javaturtle said...

I'm glad you like the quotes. Ray Bradbury is one of my favorite authors. What a treat to have him visit your classroom. I hope everyone realized how great that was. I got to meet him in the late 1990s. He was doing a book signing at the old Earthling Bookstore. I got there early and found him sitting at a table by himself. I walked over to say hello and to tell him how much his stories affected me as a teenager. He was so friendly, so humble. I couldn't believe that someone that great could be so down to earth. I pulled out my old, beat up paperback copy of "The Martian Chronicles" (that I never returned to my 8th grade English teacher), and asked him if he would sign it for me. When he saw the "La Cumbre Junior High" stamp inside the front cover and laughed. He couldn't believe I took it and kept it for so long. He asked my name and sign my book. We chatted a few more minutes until a small group of people approached his table. He said it was a pleasure to meet me and shook my hand. I thanked him again and said goodbye. It was one of the most memorable encounters of my life.