Thursday, June 24, 2010

He's a Rebel

Photobucket

I was happy to come across this quote today. It makes me want to take more chances with my writing again. Heck, I might even pull out my art supplies and get creative on a canvas too. Like Nike says, "Just Do It". Life is too short to keep wasting time. I can't keep everything bottled up much longer. It's time to publish my zines again. It's time to start sharing what's going on inside in head and heart with the world again. It's in the wee hours of the morning when I feel I can do anything. Let's see if this feeling carries on into the rest of the day.






Whenever possible I'll post some information about the person being quoted. I think it's a good idea to know a bit of background on the person behind the words.

Andrew Warhola (August 6, 1928 – February 22, 1987), known as Andy Warhol, was an American painter, printermaker and filmmaker who was a leading figure in the visual art movement known as pop art. After a successful career as a commerical illustrator, Warhol became famous worldwide for his work as a painter, avant-garde filmmaker, record producer, author, and public figure known for his membership in wildly diverse social circles that included bohemian street people, distinguished intellectuals, Hollywood celebrities and wealthy patrons.

Warhol has been the subject of numerous retrospective exhibitions, books, and feature and documentary films. He coined the widely used expression "15 minutes of fame". In his hometown of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, The Andy Warhol Museum exists in memory of his life and artwork.

The highest price ever paid for a Warhol painting is $100 million for a 1963 canvas titled Eight Elvises. The private transaction was reported in a 2009 article in The Economist, which described Warhol as the "bellwether" of the art market." $100 million is a benchmark price that only Jackson Pollock, Pablo Picasso, Gustav Klimt and Willem de Kooning  have achieved. (Source: Wikipedia)

Note: For more insight on zines, visit Chip Rowe's informative and timeless website, The Book of Zines and click on the link, "What's a Zine?"

2 comments:

Mike T said...

This is a cool post. Creating stuff out of nothing fills you with power. The man doesn't like when us little people feel powerful, so you should go paint a picture and STICK IT TO THE MAN!

I have your coloured pencils here I think. Do you want them? I am still drawing in black and white and I don't use them.

javaturtle said...

Thanks Mike. I dig your statement about "the man". As my life begins to settle down a bit, the creativity is trying to burst out. I do want to feel powerful again.

I've got a set of 60 in a clear pencil case, so go ahead and keep them, just in case you need a bit of color someday. :)